LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
Finance and Support Services Manager
Waqf Marketing Manager
Waqf Programme Manager
Executive and administration Assistant
International Waqf Fund (IWF):
The International Waqf Fund (IWF) aims to provide a sustainable source of funding for Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) through promoting Waqf, managing the IRW endowment funds and allocating the returns to development projects in accordance with the wishes of the donors.
IWF also collaborates with the IRW members to promote Waqf and sustainable income for IR projects. IWF will grow the Waqf fund and manage Waqf assets to ensure that endowment funds are safely invested and returns used for supporting humanitarian and development projects for those in need.
IWF delivers on its stated objectives in support of the IRW vision and in compliance with Islamic jurisprudence (sharia) regarding Waqf.
The Director of Waqf will provide strategic leadership, management, and inspiration to ensure that the organisational objectives are achieved for raising funds for Waqf, managing risk and returns while raising awareness of the importance of Waqf. They will be responsible for developing the strategy, policies, and procedures that serve the IWF vision.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Reporting to the IWF Board they shall provide the necessary strategic direction and accountability.
- Regular engagement with IRW to support the design and delivery of Waqf programmes.
- Regular engagement with external advisors for Shariah compliance, investment guidance etc.
- Regular engagement with relevant organisations/institutions to champion Waqf globally.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of IWF.
- Ensure adherence to all statutory and compliance obligations of IWF.
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to the IWF Board, the Director is responsible for the overall management of IWF including all personnel. This includes but is not limited to achieving the strategy, resource mobilisation, resources management, including the investment of Waqf funds.
Responsibility for Resources:
The role has direct financial management responsibility for IWF and all its assets including intellectual property.
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect, and fair treatment of all.
Key Accountability 1: Provide strategic leadership, management, and institutional development of IWF
- Report to the IWF Board; update them on relevant matters in line with strategic plans.
- Develop, implement, and institutionalise the vision, mission, and strategy of IWF.
- Lead and develop shared strategies with IRW and members in relation to Waqf.
- Lead, develop and inspire IWF personnel.
- Oversee all aspects of IRW especially, compliance, resource mobilisation, investment, and programmes.
- Ensure the development and compliance with robust legal, financial, HR and management policies and procedures.
- Oversee the preparation of the IWF plans and budgets.
- Oversee financial management of IWF, including the preparation of the annual Waqf investments reports the annual financial statements and other financial reports necessary for the effective management of IWF.
Key Accountability 2: Oversee the growth of resources for IWF and oversee the investment of Waqf funds
- Ensure the continued growth of IWF through resource mobilisation.
- Ensure the proper management of Waqf resources.
- Ensure regular research on religious rulings and new findings about Waqf.
- Oversee the development of innovative Waqf products and new markets.
- Ensure good donor management including regular reporting.
Key Accountability 3: Champion the promotion of Waqf throughout the IR Family and externally
- Champion the Waqf model adopted and promote it.
- Provide resources to the IRW family in return for Waqf returns.
- Provide training and technical support IRW family members on Waqf matters.
- Lead on the development of an external engagement strategy; engage with stakeholders, institutions, and events (conferences, seminars etc.), to learn, and promote IWF, whilst also promoting the Waqf model more broadly as a means for sustainable impact.
- Develop public information resources to promote and help understand Waqf.
Key Accountability 4: Leading Teams
- To ensure a dynamic organisational culture and strong team cohesion amongst all IWF personnel.
- Create an open, transparent, and stimulating work environment.
- Actively promote, encourage, and invest in the learning and development of employees.
- Develop a culture of responsibility and accountability
- Ability to balance the need to maintain an overview of the aims of IWF and lead teams and operations to achieve those objectives.
- Ability to motivate teams and groups towards achieving strategic goals.
- Driving and managing change effectively.
PEOPLE AND ACTIVITIES MANAGEMENT
- Ability to provide direction and strategic management to personnel.
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks and responsibilities with adequate authority.
- Ability to directly manage personnel and activities in several locations across several geographical areas.
RESOURCES & FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT:
- Ability to effectively oversee the resources management operations across several locations through cost benefits analysis.
- Ability to Prepare accurate budgets for planned operations and understanding of financial statements of the organisation.
- Ability to make strategic decisions on financial matters.
- Ability to manage investments and the process that leads to effective investment decisions
PLANNING & STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT:
- Ability to set the overall focus and identify the key deliverables, ensuring that plans link to wider organisational objectives.
- Ability to Initiate and lead the strategic planning of operations.
- Ability to create and maintain external relationships at senior level.
EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT & TEAMWORK:
- Encourages development which is in line with organisational strategy.
- Ability to provide a clear sense of purpose and guide others towards the organisation’s goals.
- Ability to build a committed team out of individuals and driving them to ensure delivery.
- Ability to analyse and recognise levels of morale and find ways to motivate and encourage team members.
- Ability to provide strategic feedback, which drives improvements and change across teams.
- Ability to communicate complex information persuasively.
- Ability to communicate with individuals and organisations at the highest level.
REPORTING & INFORMATION HANDLING & ANALYSIS:
- Ability to gather and analyse complex information and draw decisions on well written reports.
- Ability to maintain an overview of complex issues yet understands and manages the details.
PROBLEM SOLVING, CONFLICT RESOLOUTION & DECISION MAKING:
- Ability to take a long term perspective when resolving issues that could impact the organisation as a whole.
Islamic Principles of Waqf
- Ability to manage Waqf according to sound Islamic principles.
- Ability to innovate new approaches within the accept traditions of Islamic Waqf.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission.
The IWF Director must have a clear track-record of raising funds for Waqf, a deep understanding of Waqf principles, and an understanding of investment management.
• Ability to influence strategy in field of WAQF by acting as a recognised authority in this area with at least 5 years’ experience of working with Waqf including developing Waqf management tools.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience of senior management responsibility including the development of strategies.
• Proven track record of raising funds and marketing.
• At least 5 years’ experience working in Islamic Organisations at a senior level
• Fluent English and Good Arabic writing and speaking skills.
• Deep understanding of Islamic principles of Waqf and endowment management laws and broader Charity standards (in England & Wales).
• Experience of managing investments.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Management, Business, Law or Islamic studies.
• Proven knowledge and experience of programme management
• Demonstrable experience of managing an investment strategy and portfolio according to Islamic principles.
• Demonstrable Project management skills.
• Proven record in leading major transformative change and building/delivering strategic plans.
• Experience of working in a multinational and multicultural organisation.
• Knowledge of information management technology including MS Office, ERP and databases.
To apply for this job, please send your CV with a covering letter to this Email firstname.lastname@example.org